A THEATRICAL LABORATORY FOR YOUNG ARTISTS
The PTP Academy is a rigorous, multi-year theatre and social justice leadership program in Upper Manhattan dedicated to the holistic development of immigrant youth and youth of color. We envision the PTP Academy as an essential second home for the next generation of civic artists. The PTP Academy is comprised of the Pre-Academy (K–5th grade), and the Academy Core (6th–12th grade).
In the Pre-Academy, students develop foundational theatre skills, as they devise an ensemble-based theatre piece that celebrates their identities and communities.
The Academy Core engages 6th–12th graders in a 6-year track to develop leadership and activism skills through ensemble-based theatre-making. All Academy Core Young Artists are required to take their core theatre-devising course each year and engage in performance opportunities ranging from in-studio performances to producing the annual We the People festival in May. Other program features include:
- Arts & Activism Electives
- College and Career Readiness Opportunities
- Excursions to see a Broadway or Off-Broadway show annually
- Summer Lab, a 2-week summer theatre intensive
- Wraparound Services: In partnership with NewYork-Presbyterian's Uptown Hub, young artists can receive priority access to mental health services, and referrals to a network of local providers for services including tutoring, SAT prep, and housing support.
Interested in joining the PTP Academy? Contact us.
Unless otherwise noted, all classes take place at the PTP Studio located at 5030 Broadway, Suite 825 in the Inwood neighborhood of Upper Manhattan